Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Homeschooling Begins!

Our official school date begins Monday, August 20th! It has been a great summer but I'm ready to have some sort of routine.

Every year before the school season begins, we pray and ask God for direction as it relates to each child. This year, Erika will be taking tutoring classes at Smith Prep (history, english, bible, debate, science). And, she will be taking two classes online from Florida Virtual School (spanish 1 & algebra 1). Josh will be home with me full time.

In addition, every year we come up with spiritual/character attributes and academic goals for Erika and Josh to work on throughout the year. We try to keep our academic goals to minimum therefore concentrating on the spiritual/character attributes. This has served us so well since we've been homeschooling. By setting small goals for our children we have been able to encourage them, lovingly train and disciple them, and rejoice with them on their accomplishments. It has also helped me to not get discouraged about feeling overwhelmed or exasperating the kids. I have seen firsthand God work in each child throughout the school year!

Also, with my husband's input, I come up with some goals for myself.
1. to have fun
2. enjoy my children
3. have a routine that allows for flexibility for the unexpected
4. keep up with daily devotions
5. do not overbook my schedule with many activities
6. be home more
7. to daily seek God for direction and wisdom and allow His grace to permeate throughout the home

Here is an example of what our goals looked like last year.

Erika's spiritual/character attribute
1. to embrace being at home (Titus 2)
2. to glorify God with her music

Erika's academic goal
1. to challenge herself in critical thinking matters
2. to get her papers done in a timely manner

Josh' spiritual/character attribute
1. to not give up (Philippians 14:13)
2. to work on conflict resolution with his sister
3. to desire to know God more

Josh' academic goal
1. to love the library and picking out books
2. to enjoy reading
3. to have fun

This is not to draw attention to my children or myself. Hopefully, this will serve whoever may read this as a source of encouragement as you begin the school year.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Tammy,
Thanks for sharing this. What a great idea . . . I am going to talk to my hubby about this. I love hearing from other moms who homeschool. It really helps me to focus on what is important. I know alot of my goals would be what yours are. I want to enjoy my children and encourage them daily! I am very thankful to be able to stay home with them. This is our 6th year of homeschooling. I remember working fulltime and not seeing our kids much, so what a gift to be able to be home with them and train them up in the ways they should go. God is so kind to me!

Jennifer Lightfoot said...

Tammy, this is awesome!! Very cool! Help me when I have kids, 'k? :o)

Unknown said...

How did you decide on Smith Prep? Did you look at Circle? I'm wondering how the two compare. Thanks!!!!